Our Heritage – 1893 to Present Day

In the Beginning c 1893 . . .

“Mizpah” Homestead overlooking Clifton Creek

Clifton Waters Village enjoys a long association with the Anglican faith.  The land upon which the village now stands was first occupied by the Rev Robert Martin – also known as “The Apostle of East Gippsland” and “the Spiritual father of Croajingolong”.

Rev Robert Martin first moved to the Gippsland Gold Fields c 1868 with his first wife and child. A further five children were conceived however the death of his wife at the age of 37 years saw his children reside with the parents of his wife.   Rev Robert Martin continued his religious services offering prayer wherever it could be heard.  He remarried in 1890:

“. . . In early 1893 he was appointed to the Paynesville Parochial District where he was to serve until 1918. The district contained at least eleven places of worship, including Forge Creek, Delvine, Meerlieu, Lindenow, Lower Boggy Creek, Wy Yung and Eagle Point.

The Martins chose to live a Wy Yung, and in August 1893 the purchased a property of 21 acres to be called ‘Mizpah’, from Genesis 31:49 . . . “

Source:  The Gippsland Anglican – Excerpt of the Article “Memorable Ministers”- dated July 2001

“Mizpah” Homestead

Rev Robert Martin died in the February of 1924 aged 91 years.

“. . . Robert’s daughter Antoinette Augusta, continued to occupy ‘Mizpah’ at Wy Yung. About June 1953 she decided to sell the property to St John’s Church, Bairnsdale, as a site for a village scheme for the elderly, but continued to live in the family home until her death in October 1959.

Inspired by the vision and drive of Canon G.F.D. Smith, the Rector of St John’s work was started on Clifton Waters Village and the first cottage was completed in 1954 . . . “

Source:  The Gippsland Anglican – Excerpt of the Article “Memorable Ministers”- dated July 2001

The Concept of Affordable Housing for the Aged

From the early years of the 20th Century, the Rev’d Gerard Kennedy Tucker worked tirelessly to give hope and comfortable lodgings for the disadvantaged, unemployed, poor and elderly.  In 1934 he opened a hostel for homeless and unemployed men in Fitzroy, Melbourne.  The following year he went on to purchase a 45 acre allotment in Carrum Downs which was designed:

” . . . To enable unemployed men to become self-supporting, the Brotherhood of St. Laurence has inaugurated a community farming project on the Carrum Downs, between Dandenong and Frankston.  About 100 acres of land has been subdivided into one-acre and five-acre blocks for the cultivation of fodder crops, flowers, and vegetables.  Provision has been made for administrative quarters, a church, school, store, and recreation hall.  In a little more than 12 months the brotherhood has provided hostels for unemployed single men at Fitzroy.  It was to provide some occupation for those men and for workless married men with families that the project at Carrum Downs was begun . . . “

” . . . The superior of the brotherhood (the Rev. G. Kennedy Tucker) states that, although the plan has been in operation for only a month, several families are in residence.  Eventually the farms would become self-supporting.  Surplus produce would be purchased and used in the hostels in the city . . . “

Source:  The Argus (Melbourne) – Excerpts of the Article “Community Farm Plan at Carrum Downs – Helping the Unemployed” – published 4th May 1935

Concurrently, the Rev’d GK Tucker wrote:

“The third group, consisting of old-age and invalid pensioners, would be better off in small cottages, on a settlement in an outer area.  It is pitiful to see the conditions under which some of these old people live.  All they can afford from their pensions is a single room, and they are usually found in old delicensed hotels.  Most of these old hotels were worn out before being delicensed.  Under such living conditions these old people gradually sink lower and lower . . . 

Source:  The Melbourne Star – Excerpt of the Article “Cottages for Pensioners” – written by The Rev’d GK Tucker – published 5 Feb 1935

The property at Carrum Downs progressively grew to cater for the aged rather than the unemployed, with the first two cottages built specifically for the elderly completed in 1945.  It was from this concept that Canon GFD Smith formed the notion of a village for the aged in East Gippsland . . .

The Birth of one of Victoria’s First Villages for the Elderly – 1953

Miss Antoinette Augusta Martin
Canon GFD Smith

 “Clifton Waters Village 

An Oasis of Peace”

Mid last century, Canon GFD Smith became concerned about the need for comfortable housing for the elderly.

” . . . One of Australia’s National sores is the inadequate care of her old people.  The number of aged people is increasing at an alarming rate by virtue of the natural birthrate, the increased life span of ten years and through increased immigration.  It is my contention, says the Rev. G. F. D. Smith, Rector of Bairnsdale, that if every big town in Victoria could establish its own village homes for the aged, the problem could be adequately catered for.  St. John’s, Bairnsdale, is establishing such a village, and the first three homes are now under construction.  A property with a homestead of 21 acres has been purchased for this purpose . . . “

Source: Clifton Waters Village Archives – Excerpt of the Article “Clifton Waters Project Started” – published June 1954

Canon Smith had noted the progress of the Carrum Downs village.  The 21 acre property and homestead ‘Mizpah’, located on the banks of Clifton Creek in Wy Yung, East Gippsland, was purchased from Miss Antoinette Augusta Martin for the sum of £2,100, Canon Smith proceeded to ensure the project ‘Clifton Waters Village’ would advance without delay. Canon Smith travelled the country to obtain donations with which to commence the building of the village.

As the dream became a reality, a governing body was required to run the proposed village for the aged.  A meeting was held on the 23rd June 1953 for the purpose of appointing a governing body to be known as the “Clifton Waters Village Council

  • President:  Canon Smith
  • Secretary / Treasurer:  DC Parsons

The Village became known as:

The Ladies Auxiliary
Source: Clifton Waters Village Archives – Article published 9th Sep 1954

The Clifton Waters Village Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1954, catering for many of the celebrations and events held at the village, as well as progressively raising funds to assist with the construction, maintenance, upgrades, etc. of many of the village facilities and later on, the cottages themselves.   Funds were raised by holding stalls and:

” . . . Other ways of making money were the Card Afternoon and Evening  held in friends or members homes, Mannequin Parades, Balls and Dances.  Also Childrens Fancy dress Frolics, Childrens Picture Afternoons and the Annual Fair or Bazaar, and the usual competitions . . . “

Source:  Excerpt – “Clifton Waters Village Ladies Auxiliary – 1954 to 1987” – by Mrs N Davies, Mrs J Davidson & Mrs M Crane

Catering for weddings, functions and events was also a large income stream for the Auxiliary.

Construction Commences . . .

The first cottage of just 4.5 squares in size (41.8 m²) was completed in the July of 1954 at a cost of £1,191.13.4.  It was occupied within a fortnight – by Mr & Mrs J Richards who paid the sum of £1,000 for the lease of the cottage located at 1 Martins Parade.

The First Cottage at Frame Stage c 1953

The second cottage at 2 Martins Parade was completed at a cost of £1,235.6.2 and was occupied by Mr & Mrs Jones who also paid a £1,000 contribution.

The small community rallied together and incredibly raised enough funds via functions, events, donations and so forth – topped with a substantial government subsidy, thus enabling the first six cottages to be completed by the November of 1955 – a remarkable achievement.

Clifton Waters Homes
First Subsidy Received

$ . . . The council of the Clifton Waters Village Homes for the Active Aged at Bairnsdale has received its first subsidy of £1115/9/9 from the Commonwealth Government.  The subsidy is toward the cost of the first two homes built at Clifton Waters Village.  The Minister of Social Services, Hon. William McMahon, has conveyed his congratulations to the council of the homes on the splendid work it is doing in providing homes for old people in the Gippsland area.  The Acting Director-General of the Department of Social Services, in conveying the Minister’s congratulations to the council of Clifton Waters Village Homes, states: “We look forward to continued co-operation between yourselves and the Commonwealth.”

Source: Clifton Waters Village Archives – Article “Clifton Waters Homes – First Subsidy Received” – published 12th May 1955

The Age (Melbourne) – 10 July 1954
The Official Opening

The village was officially opened on the 3rd December 1955 at 3:00 pm – a ceremony which included music by the Bairnsdale Citizen’s Band – with Afternoon Tea provided.

By the December of 1957 – 20 cottages had been completed.

The Village Hall commenced construction in the February of 1958.

The Sick Bay (which has now been converted to the Village Office) was officially opened on the 28th November 1959 at 2:30 pm – the first Matron being Matron Beatrice Hart.

A commemorative stone entrance to the Village was designed by Mr Davies and built by Mr Alex Ross.  Originally sporting cattle grids, the stunning entrance was unveiled by Canon Smith in 1961. The stone feature survives until this very day – a testament to the quality of the workmanship, though the cattle grids have been replaced with tarmac.

50 Cottages were completed by the end of 1961.

As the roadways developed, names of various members of the Village Council were allocated – thereby providing us a reminder of the members who help found, contribute to, and, run the village:

Bosworth Court – Village Role: Village Council – RH Bosworth – 1961 to 1991.

Sketch of the proposed Entrance for Clifton Waters Village by JH Davies c late 1950’s

Davies AvenueVillage Role: Supervisor – JH Davies – 1968 to 1974.  JH Davies was also responsible for the design of the beautiful stone gateway.

Heritage Green – Village Role: Village Council – DA Heritage – 1954 to 1967.

Martins Parade – named in memory of the first settlers of the land c 1893 – the Martin Family, who built the homestead ‘Mizpah’ and whose descendants resided there until 1959.

Meades Road – Village Role: Village Council – WE Meade – 1953 to 1988.

Stephensons Road – Village Role: Village Council – GH Stephenson – 1955 to 1966.

Stokes Road – Village Role: Village Council – E Stokes – 1957 to 1973.

Source:  Excerpt – “Clifton Waters Village Ladies Auxiliary – 1954 to 1987” – by Mrs N Davies, Mrs J Davidson & Mrs M Crane

Walden’s WalkVillage Role: Village Council – IM Walden – 1954 to 1987.  Walden’s Walk was named to remind residents of the man responsible for developing the beautiful walkway that leads to Clifton Creek → meanders its way along the banks of the waterway → completing the circuit at the southern end of the village.  Seating areas, fishing spots, an avenue of mature Peppercorn trees, wallabies, fish a-jumping, the peace and tranquility of the creek waters – are all wonderful aspects of this delightful walk.

The Village Communal Facilities

The Village Hall quickly became the centre of village activities and as the community grew – so did the size of the hall.  The first extensions were completed by 5th May 1962.

” . . . In December 1962 we held another Fair and also the official opening of the extension to the Hall and the New Billiard Room and Library.  We made a donation of £600 towards this effort and paid to have book shelves installed . . . “

Source:  Excerpt – “Clifton Waters Village Ladies Auxiliary – 1954 to 1987” – by Mrs N Davies, Mrs J Davidson & Mrs M Crane

The hall was again extended in 1986:

” . . . The Hall was extended again in 1986 and our Kitchen enlarged there was the need for two stoves at a cost of $2000.  These have proved very helpful when catering in the Hall . . . “

Source:  Excerpt – “Clifton Waters Village Ladies Auxiliary – 1954 to 1987” – by Mrs N Davies, Mrs J Davidson & Mrs M Crane

Present Day . . .

Today, Clifton Waters Village maintains the initial mission and vision of its founders.

With individual cottages embracing their own character and charm:

→  fenceless boundaries encouraging community spirit

→  the land abutting Clifton Creek remains beautifully maintained for all to share

→  and most importantly, that the cottages continue to be affordable.

The ravages of time, however, has seen some of the cottages requiring renovations →  others, even to the extent of rebuilds → as well as the common areas and facilities needful of upgrading.

The village staff are enthusiastically attending these tasks, whilst all the while being so very conscious of the quest of their predecessors . . .